Saturday, March 7, 2009

WHAT IS REALLY IMPORTANT IN EDUCATION?


Year on year students attend classes with varying degrees of enthusiasm and results. To be honest, enthusiasm and results are seldom exceptionally high. Yet when there is an extracurricular event, it is often those students who somnambulate through the academic day that shine. Students prepare for months in advance, often going without sleep in the weeks preceding a special event. They love every minute of it – and they often learn far more than they do in class.

There is no doubt in my mind that extracurricular activities are where a great deal of students’ learning takes place. In many cases this is the spark that can light the fire of learning.

This year an ambitious young local student advisor has organized a glittering theatre festival – the first on our campus. When offered the chance to get involved, my work and study duties weighed heavily on my mind, and I seriously considered passing up the opportunity. After much thought, I decided to stick with limited “consulting” rather than full-scale involvement, because although I really don’t have the time, if I am a true educator I should realize that this is where the true education happens. And I want to be a part of that.

After a few meetings with the student team organizing the “fringe festival” I will also present a Chinese cooking class – in Mandarin and yes, in costume – on the fringe. Because this is too important an opportunity to miss.

Learning should not be imprisoned in the classroom walls.

The image is the logo for the festival, designed by a student.

No comments: