Friday, April 10, 2009

THE MEASURE OF SUCCESS IN LANGUAGE LEARNING

As the end of this semester rapidly draws near, I am delighted at the strides my students have taken. Yet I wonder how their triumphs will show up on the ruthless radar of assessment.

When I first met these students, they needed an interpreter to find out when and where their first classes would be. A month ago they rather actively participated in videoed interviews where they had to introduce themselves and talk about pictures they were shown. They show up for every lesson, doing their part, asking questions when they need guidance. They grasp every opportunity to apply expressions they have learnt, spontaneously and in context. I have never been as grateful for a sneeze in class as when the formerly most reluctant student piped up “Bless you!” without missing a beat.

My brave soldiers have come a long way in the eleven short weeks that we have worked together. All of them passed the midterm exam safely. And yet it is not certain that the final, external examination will do them justice. After all their efforts – and, yes, my own as well – the achievement is clear to see. But will it show up in the finals? I have to hope and pray that it does. It is extremely important that they see evidence that hard work and passion pay dividends. While it already has, my goal for the coming weeks is to ensure that both my students and the powers that be see what they have accomplished.

Failure is not an option. Mostly because they have succeeded. We just need to prove it.

No comments: