Tuesday, April 1, 2008

"Maktub"

“Maktub”

During a conversation with a dear colleague today, she kindly pointed out that my career (to use the term very loosely) is not the field my heart is in. That is stating the obvious, I replied. So why was I following a course with such marginal relevance to my interests and, more importantly, my abilities?

Her question was an important one. Yet the paradox it presents led me back to an inspiration and sense of purpose that I had lost in the past few weeks. How can that be, if this is not my vocation?

The prosaic answer is that in the brick wall of no options that so many third worlders like myself are presented with, this is the only door I have found. Many have found nothing, and I am well aware of the grace I have had.

The poetic answer is that every leap I have taken into the unknown has led me to steadier ground. My decisions have, each time, been sped along by wind in their sails. They have been so clear and obvious that there was barely a decision to make: the current swept me to safer waters time after time. And this was one of those decisions.

The Arabic word “maktub” means “it is written”. It is often used to refer to destiny. I do not think that matters are pre-determined. But I do believe that the right route is one that takes advantage of the prevailing winds. That, and casting the sails for all you are worth.

2 comments:

eet kreef said...

This is such an eloquent description of the lives we expat third worlders live. It might not be what we chose, or what we had planned for ourselves, but its a rich life, an adventurous one, one worth living. Its a learning experience, and as long as we learn something new everyday, it is not wasted.

Marie-Therese Le Roux said...

...it also helps if we don't worry ourselves too much about where we are going :)