Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Life More Mediated

One of the assignments in preparation of our upcoming intensive course next week is to keep a reading and writing diary. The observer effect aside (did I read and write more because I was more aware of it?), there seems to be good reason to believe that I lead a completely mediated existence. There is slightly more reading and quite a bit more writing here than usual, because I am preparing for the classes, but on any weekend day I spend several hours reading, at least half an hour writing and at least an hour reading and writing online or by mobile phone. Without literacy I would most certainly be doomed. Illiteracy is a considerable issue here in Oman, where public education was only initiated in 1970. I have mentioned elsewhere that students are often surprised to hear that I correspond with my folks by email, not because they can use a computer but because they can both actually read and write.

Below is a quick rundown of my mediated day. Do note, though, that the sociocultural values of my country of residence severely restrict my freedom of movement: when living elsewhere I would usually pop out for some unmediated social contact at least once and go for a walk. Here, this is not a smart option for an unaccompanied woman. (In the town where I am based, there really isn’t anywhere to go anyway.) It’s the perfect place to live if you don’t want distractions, though that’s a double-edged sword of course.

06:15-06-45 Read textbook chapter (English)
06:45-07:30 Wrote up notes (English)
08:15-08:25 Read news ticker on BBCW while watching random news events (English)
08:40-08:45 SMS friends (English)
08:45-08:55 Read textbook chapter (English)
08:55-09:15 Wrote up notes (English)
09:15-09:20 SMS pingpong (English
09:20-09:40 Online: read available podcasts and select downloads, registered product, read article abstracts to select downloads for later reading. (English)
09:40-0:45 SMS pingpong (English)
10:10-11:00 Read downloaded articles (English)
11:10-11:20 Read transcripts to confirm French listening activity just completed (French)
11:30-11:45 Read news tickers while watching BBCW (English)
11:45-11:55 Read chapter of textbook (English)
11:55-12:15 Wrote up notes (English)
1:00-3:00 Read and wrote up 3 textbook chapters (English)
3:15-3:30 Read podcast directory to choose downloads (English)
6:00-6:01 Read SMS. Did not reply. (English)
7:00-8:00 Skimmed and outlined coming chapters of textbook (English)
8:00-??? Online: read and write messages on networking sites (English and Afrikaans), Read and write email (English and Afrikaans)
Later… some recreational reading, maybe…?

No comments: