Monday, February 4, 2008

Schedule for a Bookworm

Finally got round to a bit of long-overdue strategic planning: printed out a calendar with a whole page for each month, and just sat down to pencil in some targets: February is for literature review, then in March the details must be slotted into an outline. From that point, the writing starts, and I want to leave ample time for “incubation” and editing, as well as incorporating feedback from my tutors. Then there is also the small fact that the assignment for this module must be submitted by Saturday, 3 May- at the far end of Muscat. Since I can’t do that on a Saturday, I will have to hand in a few days early. Which adds a little pressure and a lot of determination to the heady mix of emotions I have about my studies right now. The planning process also made me aware of the fact that with the next module I will have a month for literature review before attending the on-site course. I would feel so much more comfortable if I have acquainted myself with the existing body of knowledge first. I sense the handicap of having tumbled into the course at a late date, but am adamant to make up for lost time.

With time a-wasting, I have deliberated to go through the recommended reading list with a more selective eye, rather than reading through everything the way I normally would- and prefer to. The trouble is just that it is all so interesting that I want to spend more time with it.

On a positive note, I can see my progress as the discipline of studying an hour every morning and three hours in the early evening is becoming more natural. And gradually I am slaying the thousand-headed hydra of a reading list.

No comments: