Wednesday, August 27, 2008

In Which She Finds A Snake In The Bookstore. Seriously.

On my way out of the office this evening, I quickly stopped by one of the three rooms used for storing books, since I had to drop off a few new copies. The door creaked open reluctantly, but along with it there was another sound I could not place until I saw the agile slither across the floor. The snake and I had scared each other silly, and as he retreated, hissing, into one of the boxes of newly delivered books, I was in awe of the persistence of nature. Granted, the campus is surrounded by wild land, but to venture into such unnatural territory is something he deserves credit for.

What do I do now? Keep quiet and his surprise reappearance could wreak havoc. Mention it and put him in danger. I am seriously considering sneaking in early with a flute tomorrow morning. Could I charm him to an abode that is more suitable for him- and us two-footed folk?

Although this did take place in consensual reality, the symbolism of this creature is not lost on me. My first thoughts were of the Naga snake deity in Hindu mythology, the paradaisical serpent, the Chinese horoscope’s year of the snake (also known as the little dragon; I am a dragon), the mythological ouroboros of alchemy, the caduceus and kundalini…

A treasure-house of serpent symbolism exists. And a messenger to remind me.

No comments: