Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Together We Stand; Divided...?

All things considered, today went remarkably well. I nobly elected to go to college on foot and by taxi, and was soon reminded why, in Oman, one really does need a car.

Class started well enough, with the morning rituals, but then we had group review, which sparked big doubts for me. I have never felt very comfortable with group work, and my partners were under a lot of outside pressure from work and family. Not everyone is lucky enough to have a holiday from work during these sessions, as I am. I didn’t quite know how to handle this, and wound up doing too much of the work myself, and maybe robbing them of the opportunity to digest the information. This is a weakness of mine that often arises: and the truth is that it doesn’t help anyone. I was distracted by worrying about this for the next hour, and unable to focus on the new material. It really highlighted to me how central the general class understanding is to our collective progress, since we are already behind schedule. Dialogue is all good and well, but I am concerned that it might hold us back as a group. Then again, the whole group is there to support each other, and outside of the intensive sessions in January and June we will be doing a great deal on our own as well. Does it really matter that much? As for myself, having missed eight days of classes, I am well aware that I myself am behind the group in many respects!

No comments: